Church History

The Salem Marthoma Church was established in Vennikulam as an after effect of the reformation taken place in the Malankara Sabha under the Abraham Malpan Achen. Ever after that, the people enlightened by the reformation worshiped in the St Bahanan’s Orthodox Church Vennikulam. But the people who believed in the reformation doctrines, through a minority left the Orthodox Church to form a Mar Thoma Community at Vennikulam. There were only 15 family filled with spiritual desire. The leader of the people was a very spiritual and saintly priest, who was dedicated to mission works as well as social service. He was a much honored priest in the community and church. His name was very Rev. K.T Behanan Kassessa. He was the president of the Mar Thoma Evangelistic Association for 32 years. Under his strong leadership the believers started worshipping in the Kavumgumprayer St.Thomas Mar Thoma Church from 1892 -1910. In 1910 a temporary shed was built in his ancestral property and worship started there and the church was named as Vennikulam Salem Mar Thoma Church. In1917 Construction of a new Church building was started and in 1919 the new church building was dedicated by Titus II Metropolitan and Abraham Mar Thoma Metropolitan.

Rev. K.T.Behanan was the Vicar for 25 years. This church is a role model of a lot of spiritual as well as social activities in Vennikulam. This church has made remarkable contributions in the spiritual, Social and cultural awakening of this village. The annual spiritual gathering, the Vennikulam Convention, started 85 years ago by Sadhu Kochukunjupadesi and Mammen Upadeshi is conducted under the auspices of this church. The social services organisations “Poor Relief Association “ was formed in this parish. A number of leaders for the Mar Thoma Yuvajana Sakhyam, Mar Thoma Church emerged from this Church.There are two priests and two full time evangelists from this parish. Sunday School, Yuvajana Sakhyam, Choir , Sevika Sankam ( Women Unit) ,Voluntary Evangelist Mission, Senior Citizens Fellowship etc are functioning in this parish.

The platinum jubilee celebration was held during 1985. Two houses were build for the homeless, marriage aid was given to a girl. During these years the number of houses in the parish increased. As a result there was lack of space for worship as well as other functions. The members thought of a new church building in the western side of the old church building, without demolishing the church. The foundation stone for the new church building was laid on 1997 June 15 by his leadership Rt. Rev Gheevarghese Mar Athanasius Episcopa.The new church building was consecrated on 1999 October 30. The public meeting in connection with the consecration of the parish was inaugurate by Rt. Rev. Dr. Joseph Mar Irenaeus Suffragan Metropolitan.The Centenary celebration was held during 2010.

Contact Information

Thelliyoor P.O, Vennikulam, Kerala, India
Phone: (0469) 2650171